EB-4 – Religious Worker

Immigrant Religious Workers

Certain religious workers may qualify for permanent residence sponsorship. To qualify for permanent residence, the individual must have at least two years, immediately preceding the application, performing the vocational or professional work for a bona fide religious organization in the U.S.

The following must be demonstrated:

  1. For at least the past two years, the individual has been a member of a religious denomination which has a bona fide nonprofit, religious organization in the U.S.
  2. The individual must be carrying on the religious vocation, professional work, or other work continuously for the past two (2) years;
  3. The individual wishes to enter the U.S. to work solely
  • as a minister; or
  • in a professional capacity in an occupation for that organization or a religious vocation; or
  • in a religious occupation or vocation for the sponsoring organization or its nonprofit affiliate. Some examples of religious occupations include, but are not limited to, religious instructors, missionaries, and cantors.

Extensive documentation must be submitted to qualify for this petition.

How to Apply

An immigrant visa petition (Form I-360) is filed along with all supporting documentation with the USCIS Service Center which has jurisdiction over the sponsoring organization. Once the petition is approved, the applicant can either apply for their greencard overseas through a process called immigrant visa processing or apply for their greencard through adjustment of status. Please contact our office for the current processing times or for assistance in preparing the petition.


Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 would qualify for lawful permanent residents and can apply at the same time as the primary applicant.

Map with North America depicted in white, with the most populated cities represented as small black dots, with darker shades indicating higher population density

Contact Us